Building Customer Relationships
The Ritz-Carlton Perspective
Treat customers as if they will remain customers. Do not treat them as though this is the last time you will see them.
DOs and DON’Ts of Building Customer Relationships
- DO get beyond a transactional mentality. If you view customers with a hands-off “Next, please” attitude, you will never build a relationship.
- DON’T rush customers. Customers know when they’re being hurried. Relationships take time. Qualities like trust, sincerity and care need time to develop and grow.
- DO share some of your own life. Look for ways to connect with customers. Maybe you both root for the same sports team, or you both have children.
- DON’T overshare. Although you’re building a relationship with customers, you still want to practice discretion and ensure that your customer is comfortable throughout your conversation.
- DO follow up on past conversations. If your customer mentioned a new pet or told you about a hospital visit, be sure you ask for updates. Showing that you remember and care will strengthen your bond.
- DON’T forget to give a fond farewell that includes gratitude and the expectation that you will see the customer again. ∞
Join us on February 8 and 9, 2017 at The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas for two days of courses. On Wednesday, attend Service Excellence Culture and hear about the processes behind the legendary service of The Ritz-Carlton, and on Thursday, learn about the principles of Memorable Customer Service.