The Ritz-Carlton Perspective
How much time are you spending each week speaking to your employees about passion and the purpose of their work?
DOs and DON’Ts of Making Work Meaningful
- DO emphasize purpose. Employees who only see the day-to-day tasks of their jobs can begin to feel unsatisfied and disengaged. On the other hand, employees who feel connected to a greater purpose within the organization tend to bring more passion to the workplace.
- DON’T let employees get isolated and siloed. Employees who never have the opportunity to connect with others—customers or colleagues—may feel lonely at work. Employees who are isolated may feel trapped in a seemingly dead-end job.
- DO empower employees. Empowered employees have more autonomy and feel like their decisions and actions can make a difference.
- DON’T let employees become stagnant. Give employees opportunities to grow, develop and learn new skills.
- DO point out to employees how their work is impacting others. Employees may not always see the fruits of their labors and hearing how their efforts led to achievements and success will reinforce their importance within the organization.
- DON’T neglect gratitude—and fun! Employees who feel appreciated and have their work recognized generally feel happier at work. ∞
Join us on June 8 and 9, 2017 at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis in St. Louis, MO for two days of courses. On Thursday, attend Service Excellence Culture and hear about the processes behind the legendary service of The Ritz-Carlton, and on Friday, learn about the principles of Memorable Customer Service.