Fostering Great Service
The Ritz-Carlton Perspective
Great service comes from the heart. If you have the spirit to serve and are genuine, you can extend personalized service.
DOs and DON’Ts of Fostering Great Service
- DO try to hire employees who already have a passion for service. Passion produces an intense emotional connection and employees who are driven by service are more willing to make extra efforts for customers.
- DON’T neglect the onboarding process and make sure culture is included in orientation sessions. Even employees who have a passion for service need a thorough understanding of your organization’s mission and values in order to better align their service with your culture.
- DO make sure new hires understand their purpose as well as their day-to-day role. For example, a housekeeper’s role may be to put clean sheets on the bed, but her purpose is to provide genuine care to guests.
- DON’T neglect training employees. Even employees who have natural abilities need training. The Ritz-Carlton believes in service excellence training and dedicates more than 250 hours to this practice annually.
- DO empower employees. When you empower employees you’re telling them, “We select the best talent, and we trust you.” Empowered employees bring accountability, creativity and innovation to the workplace.
- DON’T neglect creating service standards. Although you want employees to go above and beyond, you have to be clear about your service expectations. ∞