Fostering Great Service
March 19, 2019
The Ritz-Carlton Leadership Center
DOs and DON’Ts of Fostering Great Service
Fostering great service comes from the heart. If you have the spirit to serve and are genuine, you can extend personalized service.
- DO try to hire employees who already have a passion for service. Passion produces an intense emotional connection. Employees who are driven by service are more willing to make extra efforts for customers.
- DON’T neglect the onboarding process and make sure culture is included in orientation sessions. Even employees who have a passion for service need a thorough understanding of your organization’s mission and values in order to better align their service with your culture.
- DO make sure new hires understand their purpose as well as their day-to-day role. For example, a housekeeper’s role may be to put clean sheets on the bed, but her purpose is to provide genuine care to guests.
- DON’T neglect training employees. Even employees who have natural abilities need training. The Ritz-Carlton believes in service excellence training and dedicates more than 250 hours to this practice annually.
- DO empower employees. When you empower employees you’re telling them, “We select the best talent, and we trust you.” Empowered employees bring accountability, creativity and innovation to the workplace.
- DON’T neglect creating service standards. Although you want employees to go above and beyond, you have to be clear about your service expectations.
Join us at one of our Upcoming Courses an experience our great service firsthand while learning actionable takeaways to bring back to your organization.