Enlivening Experiences through Excellence in Teamwork
January 31, 2023
The Ritz-Carlton is known for its excellence in guest service and for the genuine care expressed by our Ladies and Gentlemen. We strive to make every experience at our hotels unique and memorable.
This kind of service would not be possible without teamwork. Service Value 7 states, “I create an environment of teamwork and lateral service so that the needs of our guests and each other are met.”
There are very intentional words woven throughout Service Value 7:
- “I create a work environment”: We determine the type of environment in which we work. We have all been a part of a strong, highly performing team at some point in our career or perhaps a sub-par team. The difference is palpable, as are the results. At The Ritz-Carlton, our Ladies and Gentlemen build strong teams by treating one another with the same courtesy, respect and professionalism extended to our external guests.
- “…of teamwork and lateral service”: While it is true that our Ladies and Gentlemen are here to provide the highest level of service to our guests, they are not alone. They count on each other and work together to ensure that our mission to provide genuine care and comfort is upheld. Trust and collaboration within the team is required because often, when a colleague steps away to assist a guest, team members must step in to assist in order to ensure that no gaps in service delivery are experienced by our valued guests.
- “…so that the needs of our guests and each other are met”: Teamwork and lateral service are necessary for meeting the needs of guests, but they also help us meet the needs of fellow Ladies and Gentlemen as well. It would be impossible to create lifelong memories and surprise and delight moments without this collective effort.
One of the best ways to bring Service Value 7 to life is by sharing a powerful example in action. This story recently took place at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve:
A family was wandering around the Reserve with flashlights, seemingly searching for something when Jean Carlos, In-Room Dining server, noticed them. As Jean slowly drove by, he overheard the mother exclaiming, “Where is that frog?” and immediately knew she was referring to the local coquí frog that sings at night while hiding, camouflaged in the landscape.
Jean remembered seeing the family dining earlier that day, so he contacted the restaurant hostess to confirm details of the guests. Jean also contacted the pastry chef to request a special treat to surprise the guests. The following day, when the family returned to their room, they were delighted to find a beautiful chocolate lily pad with two chocolate coquí frogs and assorted local treats. Jean attached a card that read, “Someone told me that you were looking for me. Maybe you did not find me, but I am sure you hear me at night. Enjoy my singing during your stay in Puerto Rico. Please visit me again. I will be waiting for you. -Coqui.”
The family was amazed by the detail. They were beyond grateful that someone went above and beyond to make their stay memorable with this unforgettable gesture.
How did teamwork play a part in the above example?
- First, Jean needed help from the hostess to find out more information on the family.
- Second, the pastry chef offered assistance with the chocolate frog creation.
- Third, Jean required support from his team as he stepped away to execute this surprise and delight moment.
One of the best parts of the lateral service concept at The Ritz-Carlton is that our Ladies and Gentlemen do not hesitate to assist one another with the goal of creating special moments for our guests.